30th Anniversary – Wyoming Native Plant Society Annual Meeting
STILL the Best of the Bighorns
June 24, 25 and 26, 2011
June 24, Friday
• Afternoon: Camping arrangements in Buffalo. The group tent site at Indian Campground (660 East Hart St.; www.indiancampground.com) has been reserved for WNPS. Cost is $8 per person.
• 5:30 p.m.-7:30: Buffalo Bonanza. Stunning flower displays and a panoramic evening hike on the Bud Love Wildlife Habitat Unit promise a foothills flora bonanza. Meet at the U.S. Forest Service office in Buffalo (Hwy 16, west end of town). We will caravan out. Leaders: Ami Erickson and Bonnie Heidel.
• 8:00: A carryout dinner social follows immediately afterward at the Indian Campground (660 East Hart Street) where out-of-town people will be at the Group Camp.
June 25, Saturday
• 9:00 a.m.: South Piney Creek Hike. Visit Mountain ladys slipper in full bloom. Meet at the Story Fish Hatchery (follow the Fish Hatchery Rd west of Story). Leader: Claire Leon 307-783-2302.
• 12:00 p.m.: Lunch
• 1:00-5:00 p.m.: Southern Bighorn Mountains. Caravan from Story along Highway 16, for a series of plant adventures, ending up in Tensleep.
• 5:00-6:00 p.m. Break time to set up, wash up, and catch up at Tensleep Preserve, The Nature Conservancy
• 6:00 p.m.: Supper, catered by Second Street Bakery in Tensleep with a surprise on the menu
• 7:00 p.m. Introductions Amy Taylor, President, Wyoming Native Plant Society
o Welcome – Trey Davis, Tensleep Preserve, The Nature Conservancy
o Best of the Bighorns, photo favorites of Claire Leon, Story; and Earl Jensen, Greybull
June 26, Sunday
• 8:00 a.m. Breakfast business meeting in the Lodge (coffee and muffins provided)
• 9:00 a.m.: Announcements. Walk or caravan to start of two hike options:
o Upland hike to Canyon Creek rim
o Carys penstemon and more!
o Hike up Canyon Creek valley to pictographs
o Flora of the Big Horn Mountains, after Nelson and Hartman, 1984
• Books for sale*:
o Dorn, R.D. 2001. Vascular Plants of Wyoming. $23.20.
o Dorn, R.D. 1984. Vascular Plants of Montana. $20.08.
o Dorn, J.L.. and R.D. Dorn. 1999. Wyoming Birds. $20.08.
o *Make checks for the Dorn books out to: Rocky Mountain Herbarium.
o Jensen, E. 1986. Flowers of Wyomings Big Horn Mountains and Big Horn Basin.